The current situation with COVID-19 is changing daily. With increased suspected and confirmed cases in the U.S., now is the time to act. Remind your employees of basic health practices and start revising policies as needed.
Remind employees not to panic and to maintain good, personal hygiene practices. Here are a few basics to offer:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use alcohol-based cleaner as an alternative when necessary.
- Cover for coughs, or sneezes with a tissue or cough and sneeze into your elbow (never your hand).
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes, or any part of your face.
- Be cognizant of unnecessarily coming into close contact with others.
- Do not share personal items, such as phones, computers, etc.
Ask your employees to immediately report any COVID-19 symptoms to HR, as well as if they've traveled to a hot spot area or have come in contact with someone who may have been exposed. These are just the very basics. It is up to you to decide which of the measures you are reading about in the news to take action on, and we can advise you on which items are appropriate for your business, as well as areas you may not have considered.
Consider advice, instruction and policy changes you need to share with employees based on business needs. Be aware of employment law implications as you do so, whether pertaining to employee leave, or having to do with basic personnel policies. You should also consider possible modifications to your business practices and operations.
We know these are uncertain times. Our Employment Law team is here to help. Please contact us to discuss any concens you may have with COVID-19 and its impact on your business.